Rats are one of the most common wild animals found inside homes. They can be extremely annoying, creating odd noises in your house as they navigate your ceiling, walls, and other areas. They may also damage certain home appliances, your clothes, or other items you own.
Rats are difficult to get rid of. Some pest control companies, as well as a number of house owners, find a solution in using rat poison. Others make use of rat traps. If you do not want to remove the rats yourself, you may choose to hire a professional to complete the task.
Using Rat Poison
There are several different ways you can use rat poison in your home.
Dissolve the poison in water. This method is considered the most effective, as rats are known to drink water frequently.
Place the rat poison in areas you know the rats are active.
Mix food with the rat poison, using it as a bait to attract the rats.
Ways Rat Poison Affects Rats
Some poisons contain ingredients that attack the nervous system, causing intense pain throughout the rat’s body once ingested.
Other rat poison products contain chemicals which can cause muscle convulsion. The rat will die a few minutes after eating the poison.
Some other dangerous contents of rat poison can cause sudden damage to the cells, various organs of the body especially the liver and the kidney therefore resulting to instant death of the rat when its heart suddenly stops beating.
Rat poisons can also cause renal failure, hypertension, and other abnormalities.
Is Rat Poisoning Effective?
While rat poisoning may kill many of the rodents in your home, keep in mind the few points below.
Some rats may be poison-resistant. Some rats have developed a resistance to certain poisons, so even if they consume the rat poison, it may or may not have an effect on them. You can overcome this by avoiding first-generation anticoagulants, which are the category of poisons that rats are most likely to have resistance to.
Not every rat eats rat poison. You also need to consider the fact that in order for a rat to die from poison, the rat needs to consume it. While a reasonable number of rats will likely eat some of the poison, chances are incredibly slim that every single rat in a large population will consume enough of the poison to die.
Rat poison does not always guarantee dead rats. Even if a rat is not resistant to the rat poison you choose and does eat it, there is still no guarantee that it will kill that rat. Sometimes, the rats will consume too little and just get very sick. In this case, you may find yourself with some dead rats and some sick rats. This particular issue with poison is particularly important when dealing with a larger colony of rats. You will likely thin out the numbers a bit, but you will still have a rodent problem on your hands.
Don't hesitate to call us if you suspect a dead animal in your home! We usually operate same-day, since we know that this is not a situation in which you will want to wait a long time.